Very short this - really just a thought written down so I don't forget it. For some reason unknown today, Edgar Allan Poe's 'A Dream Within A Dream' came to me today. It was published in 1849:
Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow —
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.
I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand —
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep — while I weep!
O God! Can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?
And immediately I connected it with William Blake's 'Auguries on Innocence', the relevant text I recall from Jacob Bronowski, in 'The Ascent of Man' (btw commissioned by the then David Attenborough)
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
etc.
Blake wrote this in 1803 but it was only published after his death in 1863.
Both deal with life - one describing loss, the other wonder, but both use grains of sand. For myself, I was more drawn to Blake's 'Heaven in a Wild Flower' which, for someone of an evolutionary ecology leaning, sums up organic life.
Later ... I didn't get around to posting the above as a short blog before I ventured off to Ireland.
The crossing was super - flat sea and full sun made it clear just how populated the seas are with creatures. Although I'm not a birder I did work out that shearwaters were very common a few miles off the coast of Ireland, as were gannets. I put a picture on flickr which gives a little more information.
| Blake from a Death Mask |
Only about a quarter of the art was by Blake as the exhibition covered him and his contemporaries who either inspired him, or were inspired by him, in the 'Age of Romantic Fantasy'. It was interesting in understanding how the Gothic of later years must have evolved. I have always been ambivalent about Blake's imagery, but seeing it the 'flesh' was fascinating, as well as seeing some of the contemporaneous works, including Turner.
There has been far less dressing this trip, partly because of the unseasonal temperatures, but partly also because we shall be meeting up with Jenny Turner in a couple of weeks. Tomorrow, I head off to do some sightseeing and walking in Co. Mayo, but today is the 2nd anniversary of Pauline's death and we are going out for a meal in memory of her. I said to Pamela when I wanted to do this that it wasn't to be sad and that we could have whatever we wanted as the meal was being paid for by someone who has joined the Choir Invisible (cue Monty Python Parrot Sketch). Of course, there has been another side to today as I emailed Pauline's sister today and the tears welled up.
I'll finish for now, not with Blake, or Poe, but Jack's brother, WB Yeats, writing of love unfulfilled:
Tread softly for you tread upon my dreams
Sorry to hear about the heat affecting your dressing ability in Ireland. I guess more extreme weather is likely to be encountered more often as we continue to fail to deal with mucking up the climate. But I hope you get some pretty frock time there.
ReplyDeleteAs for sand poems, I can only offer this from Roz Chast:
You darling little grain of sand
Upon the beach, so sad and blue,
Is this the life that you had planned?
That there'd be jillions just like you?
You're barely there, it's such a shame,
You have no job and have no school.
Too small to even have a name,
One step above a molecule.
Have a nice time.
Sue xx
Hi Sue, for the last week I've been ducking out of the rain! We're hoping pretty frock time will come in a couple of days.
ReplyDeleteI loved the poem by Roz Chast - it seems to fit (in a strange way) with both Poe and Blake, Nikki xxx
I never knew about the Poe poem, but I love Blake's poem. It sounds like a magical journey over to Ireland. It's a shame you didn't do much dressing in the first week but you and Pamela certainly had a good tone otherwise. I know it's a bittersweet time of the year for you, with happy memories tempered by the sense of loss, but it sounds like you are doing ok. The meal was a good way to celebrate your wife. I look forward to reading about your adventures with Pamela, Debbie and Jenny, when you get around to writing it up.
ReplyDeleteDee xxx
I must amend my comments about not knowing the Edgar Allan Poe poem..The words nagged at me. I recognised them, but couldn't remember where from. The poem is beautiful. And it resonates so much with me after discovering it through this post. And yet it seemed familiar. And yesterday it came to me. I woke up.with a jazz trumpet refrain running through my head as an instrumental track began playing on my mind. And a woman's voice with a German accent saying the words,
Delete"All that we see or seem,
Is but a dream within a dream "
As my mind began to awake and my thoughts collected, I realised that I had the sound of 'A Dream Within A Dream', the opening track of the 1985 album 'A Secret Wish' by the German group Propaganda. I dug it out of my collection, and there it was. A beautiful, mostly instrumental track of over 7 minutes long, with Suzanne Freytag quoting the poem at the beginning and end of the track. It's funny how the mind can absorb stuff and bury it again. Then unearth suddenly years later
Dee xxx
Well remembered, Dee ... better than me, I still can't think where I first heard the poem, but my brother introduced me to Poe when I was still young (I always recall him coming home once with a bottle of 'Armadillo' sherry, having confused it with Amontillado, from Poe's 'A Cask of Amontillado'!!!)
ReplyDelete