Friday, 26 June 2026

Return to Dundalk!

 

Still in Mayo, I spent Friday night watching ‘A Fistful of Dynamite’ – Rod Steiger hamming it up as a Mexican ne’er do well, although showing his Stanislavsky? (can’t think of the guy) acting in quieter scenes. James Coburn came over as rather good, despite Sergio Leone’s OTT screenplay. I can’t recall watching it before and it may have been because it was on the tails of Clint Eastwood films (i.e. considered 2nd class at the time). Gia texted late on, but I left it to this am to answer. Robert has his Norway ticket.

I had a bad night, but was up early for clearing the cottage and heading off towards Benbulben (i.e. Sligo, Benbulben, Enniskillen, Monaghan, Dundalk) at just after 9am.

Glencar Waterfall
The trip to Sligo was uneventful but the cloudbase was low and it was another mizzly day. I saw a sign for Rosses Point so headed down there to get a view of Sligo Bay and I also saw Benbulben. The lower parts were ‘greyed out’ due to the mizzle, but the edge of the cliff could be seen and the distinctive shape made out before the upper part disappeared into cloud. There was no sense in going there so I took the Enniskillen road until I saw a turn-off for the Glencar Valley. I had plenty of time, so headed along there to the Glencar waterfall. I walked the short distance to the fall and took a couple of pictures. Then past Enniskillen, through Northern Ireland  (including the depressing sight of the Police Station at Lisnaskea) to Monaghan and Castleblaney before arriving at P+M’s.


 


Curiously, Sunday passed without much memory! I didn't dress, but took Pamela up to Faughart for some snaps.


At the Fairways Hotel

On Monday we met J+A in mufti at the Gateway (was Crown Plaza) at 4pm to say 'Hello'. We arranged to pick them up to take them to The Fairways for a meal and then at 5pm left to change. Debbi took P and M while I collected Jenny and A. It was a good meal. The Fairways was busy, but I used my deafness card and we got a table in the dining room which was laid for breakfast and empty. One of the waitresses took pictures for us.

After dinner Pamela suggested we drive to Blackrock for pictures, which was an excellent decision.

At Blackrock

 I dropped J+A back at their hotel and arranged to meet them on Tuesday for a morning visit to the Boyne valley.

We drove to Oldbridge House where we met the others. Oldbridge House was closed for cleaning, but we could see a video of the battle and have a walk around the courtyard. We then drove onto Old Mellifont Abbey (with lots of turning round as road signs were poor/missing. 

Old Mellifont Abbey

 

We had lunch at the Conyngham Arms at Slane and the fun manageress, Samantha, came and found us for a chat. She suggested we should return at a weekend when there is music at a local bar and she would join us for the evening! 

I then dropped J + A at the Gateway, so we could change before a male-mode afternoon, without Debbie,

The Spirit Store
looking at Dundalk town and driving to Faughart for Eric the Bruce’s tomb, St Brigid, and the view to the Cooley Peninsula. We then discovered the Spirit Store at Dundalk Port which was a great pink pub, and which rounded off the day!

At Killeavy Castle Hotel
Wednesday was a busy day that didn’t quite work out. I picked J + A up and we drove to Carlingford, planning to meet at Ruby Ellens but they were shut. Debbie showed J and A the old town mint and gaol before we settled on The Coffee House at Fishy Dishy, next to some very loud ladies. I wanted to see the 'Ogham Stone', which was a phony – it was just a modern stone depicting the Ogham script. Then it was a rush back to the Gateway so that J+A could change for afternoon tea. I did a quick change at P+Ms before going back to pick up J+A and driving to Killeavy Castle Hotel, over in NI, for afternoon tea. The tea was in the lounge which was a little awkward as the sofa I sat on was very low! I stayed with A when the others made their way up to the castle for pictures. I drove J+A back to the Gateway and we arranged to have lunch there the next day before they left. Pamela+M and me in male mode met J+A for lunch at the Gateway (excellent value carvery)  before our farewells.

On Friday I dressed in black skirt and blouse to write up my journal ... which is why it's here!!! 

We all agreed it had been a great get-together and we hope to repeat it next year, perhaps for longer. We knew we'd over-stretched ourselves on the Wednesday (too much driving along the motorway) but that leaves much else to be seen, including the Nikki Kent Bridge (famous for me having put my foot in through it back in 2018.

At Cabra Castle
Saturday was a rest day and then on Sunday we went with Debbie to Cabra Castle for lunch and Nuremore for tea. 


 

 

 

 

Finally, on Monday, having taken P+M to Ravensdale for a last look at the Nikki Kent Bridge, it was time to leave for my ferry and an overnight journey back to Kent.

Mary McAleese Bridge over the Boyne heading for Dublin Port

 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see you and your friends bringing a touch of elegance and colour to the world. And to enjoy hearing about your adventures and the acceptance you've encountered. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, apologies for the blog layout - I'm having a lot of trouble inserting pictures; also, the script was 'lifted' from my diary, so there are short cuts, such as when recounting Oldbridge House - it's a visitor centre for the scene of the Battle of the Boyne! Anyway, much of that is by the way, the important thing is the sheer level of acceptance in Ireland. Nikki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to read, Nikki, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great account of the wonderful second half of your holiday, and it's so lovely that you enjoyed some more quality femme time with your friends. I really enjoyed reading about. And it's good to see you so happy. You all looked amazing on your adventures.

    Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete